Welcome to the Academic Medical Centers and Teaching Hospitals Practice Group
(AMCTH PG). We help you monitor new developments in the laws, rules, regulations, and enforcement actions relevant to academic medical center and teaching hospital settings.
Here are the top five things you can do to make the most of your membership in the AMCTH PG:
1. Register for a webinar or listen to an archived webinar: Web-based seminars focus on many areas, including academic-industry research collaborations, Medicare bundled payments, affiliation agreements with faculty practice plans and medical schools, narrow provider networks, clinical research, behavioral health and more. Click here to access a list of upcoming and past webinars sponsored by the AMCTH PG.
2. Join the Teaching Hospitals Community: Discussion includes any issues which impact both the regulation and operation of all types of teaching hospitals. To join the Community, visit your "myAHLA" profile at www.healthlawyers.org/myahla, enter your login information, click the blue button to customize your "Email and List Preferences," and click "Save."
3. Sign up for an Affinity Group: Available at no additional fee, Affinity Groups facilitate networking and provide educational opportunities for members who share similar professional interests. If you did not select an Affinity Group when you joined AHLA, you can still do so. Simply complete and return this enrollment form or call AHLA's Member Service Center at (202) 833-1100, prompt #2. AMCTH PG members can enroll in the following Affinity Group:
- Children's Health Affinity Group: Designed for those who work with or for a health care institution that provides pediatric care, this group focuses on timely and emerging issues affecting child health.
4. Check out the AMCTH PG Topical Library: This is where you can access the most relevant and recent AHLA publications and resources related to your practice area. It's the hub for AHLA content on AMCTH.
5. Plan to attend Legal Issues Affecting Academic Medical Centers and Other Teaching Institutions (held each January in the Washington, DC area): This program addresses the legal issues unique to teaching hospitals and academic medical centers.
In addition, here are other benefits available to you through the AMCTH PG:
- Email Alerts, Executive Summaries, and Member Briefings: Timely alerts are delivered directly to your inbox—when a new law, regulation, or decision is published, we do the initial legwork and summarize it for you.
- Great Opportunities for Involvement: The AMCTC PG leadership welcomes and encourages members to become active participants by writing, speaking, tweeting, serving as a mentor, and taking on other leadership roles. Visit www.healthlawyers.org/volunteer to view available volunteer opportunities.
- Task Forces: For those health law topics that cross over several Practice Groups, AHLA has established Task Forces that produce collaborative, substantive resources for the benefit of the sponsoring Practice Groups' members. AMCTH PG members are automatically enrolled in
o Accountable Care Organization, Payment Innovation, and Health Care Reform Educational Task Force: This group provides members with a variety of information and resources relating to accountable care organizations, integrated care models, and other health care reform initiatives designed to improve quality and lower costs, for better population health.
o Behavioral Health Task Force: This group monitors and evaluates these laws and developments through written materials, webinars, and in-person educational activities so that AHLA members are better equipped to advise clients on behavioral health topics.
Representing academic medical centers and teaching hospitals requires you to understand many complex legal issues facing your clients. We hope that your participation in the AMCTH PG will help you in serving your clients' needs.