Welcome to the Tax and Finance Practice Group (Tax PG). We are here to help you master the legal, financial, tax, and operational issues that you need to know to meet your clients' needs.
Here are the top five things you can do to make the most of your membership in the Tax PG:
- Register for a webinar or listen to an archived webinar: Web-based seminars address the legal, financial, and operational issues raised in connection with tax-related issues and their impact on hospitals and health systems. Click here to access a list of upcoming and past webinars sponsored by the Tax PG.
- Join the Tax and Nonprofit Topical Community: Discussion includes IRS interpretive guidance, regulatory and legislative developments, attorney general opinions, agency reports, court decisions, and experiences on the audit trail. You are automatically enrolled in the community based on your Practice Group enrollment and/or Preference Center selections.
- Sign up for an Affinity Group: Available at no additional fee, Affinity Groups facilitate networking and provide educational opportunities for members who share similar professional interests. If you did not select an Affinity Group when you joined AHLA, you can still do so. Simply complete and return this enrollment form or call AHLA's Member Service Center at (202) 833-1100, prompt #2. Tax PG members can enroll in the following Affinity Groups:
Check out the Tax PG Topical Library: This is where you can access the most relevant and recent AHLA publications and resources related to your practice area. It's the hub for AHLA content on AMCTH.
- Tax-Exempt Finance Affinity Group: Addresses and advances the federal tax and related issues associated with issuance of tax-exempt bonds and educates tax lawyers regarding the unique issues associated with tax-exempt bond financing.
Plan to attend Tax Issues for Health Care Organizations (held each Fall in the Washington, DC area): This program focuses on recent tax law developments, featuring speakers from the Internal Revenue Service and Department of the Treasury. Panelists typically discuss tax exemption standards, IRS enforcement and audit initiatives, executive compensation, joint ventures, tax-exempt bonds and more.
In addition, here are other benefits available to you through the Tax PG:
- News and Analysis: Timely alerts are delivered directly to your inbox—when a new law, regulation, or decision is published, we do the initial legwork and summarize it for you.
- Great Opportunities for Involvement: The Tax PG leadership welcomes and encourages members to become active participants by writing, speaking, tweeting, serving as a mentor, and taking on other leadership roles. Visit www.healthlawyers.org/volunteer to view available volunteer opportunities.
- Task Forces: For those health law topics that cross over several Practice Groups, AHLA has established Task Forces that produce collaborative, substantive resources for the benefit of the sponsoring Practice Groups' members. Tax PG members are automatically enrolled in
Providing tax and finance advice to hospitals and health systems requires you to understand the many complex legal issues raised by your clients' business operations. We hope that your active participation in the Tax PG will help you meet all of your clients' needs.