Welcome to the In-House Counsel Practice Group (IHC PG). We keep you informed on the day-to-day, practical legal issues arising from the interpretation and application of law and regulations to the operations of health care providers, payers, regulators, manufacturers, and suppliers. We also provide resources and connections into unique issues faced by in-house counsel relative to legal department operations and the business of providing effective and meaningful in-house legal representation.
Here are the top five things you can do to make the most of your membership in the IHC PG:
- Register for a webinar or listen to an archived webinar: Web-based seminars address recent decisions, new regulations, and other substantive matters that are unique to the health care industry and clients. Click here to access a list of upcoming and past webinars sponsored by the IHC PG.
- Join the In-House Counsel Community: Discussion focuses on unique issues affecting in-house counsel in all health care practice settings. To join the Community, visit your "myAHLA" profile at www.healthlawyers.org/myahla, enter your login information, click the blue button to customize your "Email and List Preferences," and click "Save."
- Sign up for an Affinity Group: Available at no additional fee, Affinity Groups facilitate networking and provide educational opportunities for members who share similar professional interests. If you did not select an Affinity Group when you joined AHLA, you can still do so. Simply complete and return this enrollment form or call AHLA's Member Service Center at (202) 833-1100, prompt #2. IHC PG members can enroll in the following Affinity Group:
Check out the IHC PG Topical Library: This is where you can access the most relevant and recent AHLA publications and resources related to your practice area. It's the hub for AHLA content on AMCTH.Plan to attend the In-House Counsel Program (held every June in varying cities): This one-day program is designed to address the unique issues faced by in-house counsel. Breakout sessions will focus on practical, hands-on ways to function in these challenging day-to-day roles and responsibilities of in-house counsel lawyers.
- Children's Health Affinity Group: Designed for those who work with or for a health care institution that provides pediatric care, this group focuses on timely and emerging issues affecting child health.
In addition, here are other benefits available to you through the IHC PG:
- Email Alerts, Executive Summaries, and Member Briefings: Timely alerts are delivered directly to your inbox—when a new law, regulation, or decision is published, we do the initial legwork and summarize it for you.
- Great Opportunities for Involvement: The IHC PG leadership welcomes and encourages members to become active participants by writing, speaking, tweeting, serving as a mentor, and taking on other leadership roles. Visit www.healthlawyers.org/volunteer to view available volunteer opportunities.
- Task Forces: For those health law topics that cross over several Practice Groups, AHLA has established Task Forces that produce collaborative, substantive resources for the benefit of the sponsoring Practice Groups' members. IHC PG members are automatically enrolled in
o Accountable Care Organization, Payment Innovation, and Health Care Reform Educational Task Force: This group provides members with a variety of information and resources relating to accountable care organizations, integrated care models, and other health care reform initiatives designed to improve quality and lower costs, for better population health.
o Behavioral Health Task Force: This group monitors and evaluates these laws and developments through written materials, webinars, and in-person educational activities so that AHLA members are better equipped to advise clients on behavioral health topics.
o Enterprise Risk Management: This group is committed to advancing the understanding and application of enterprise risk principles to the health care industry.
We understand the unique demands faced by an in-house counsel. We hope that your active participation in the IHC PG will help you in serving your clients' needs.