What is ASLME and Why Join?
In November 2014, AHLA and the American Society of Law, Medicine & Ethics (ASLME) approved a joint membership initiative that enables both organizations’ members to benefit from membership in the other’s organization.
ASLME is providing a 25% discount during the first year of membership to AHLA members who are currently not members of ASLME. In return, AHLA is providing a 10% discount during the first year of membership to ASLME academic members who are currently not members of AHLA. Academic members may join AHLA for a special discounted rate of $90.
With roots extending back to 1911, ASLME is a nonprofit educational organization. Its mission is to provide high-quality scholarship, debate, and critical thought for professionals at the intersection of law, medicine, and ethics. Members come together to examine health questions with far-reaching social ramifications – like genetic testing and research, medical record privacy, end-of-life decisions, and the dynamics of informed consent. The organization believes that its greatest strength is its multi-disciplinary focus, which creates a dynamic forum to exchange ideas from a wide range of perspectives to protect public health; reduce racial, ethnic, and economic health disparities; promote patient safety and quality of care; and facilitate dialogue on emerging biomedical science and research.
AHLA’s network of nearly 13,000 members practice at law firms, in government and in-house settings, and teach at law schools.
When ASLME academic members join AHLA for a special discounted rate of $90, they receive the following:
To join AHLA, ASLME members should call (202) 833-1100, extension #2, or fax this membership form
to (202) 775-2482.
When AHLA members join ASLME at 25% off any ASLME membership for the first year, they receive the following:
- Subscription to the Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics (JLME);
- Subscription to the American Journal of Law and Medicine (AJLM);
- Discounts on conference registration fees;
- Full access to this site, including blogs, guest posts by Society Scholars, online job bank, and course materials;
- Opportunities for earning legal education credits;
- Free online access to back issues of JLME and AJLM;
- 20% discount on more than 5,700 Blackwell Publishing products;
- ASLME Insider, the Society's monthly e-newsletter;
- Discounts on journal back issues and conference syllabi; and
- Networking through ASLME's social media pages, allowing members to interact with other professionals on topics of interest.
To join ASLME, AHLA members should join on ASLME's website
or fill out this membership form
and mail it to ASLME at 765 Commonwealth Ave, Suite 1634, Boston, MA 02215, or fax it to (617) 437-7596. Be sure to use the code AHLA25
to receive 25% off your first year of membership.