The purpose of the Diversity+Inclusion Council is to serve as a resource to AHLA in achieving its goal of increasing diversity of its members and leaders and to create a welcoming and inclusive environment.
The Council, consistent with AHLA’s Statement of Commitment to Diversity, which reads, “In principle and in practice, the American Health Lawyers Association values and seeks diverse and inclusive participation within the Association regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, creed, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, or disability,” shall:
- advise and recommend programs/initiatives on ways in which AHLA can better recruit and retain members from a broad spectrum of diverse backgrounds;
- extend opportunities, ensure access to resources, and welcome contributions from all stakeholders who contribute to the Association’s success;
- identify and eliminate barriers to participation and suggest initiatives to encourage members from diverse backgrounds to become more involved in the Association’s activities (e.g., to speak at in-person programs, to author articles or publications, to seek positions of leadership);
- facilitate connections and community;
- collaborate when appropriate with other organizations having diverse professional memberships; and
- identify ways in which AHLA can measure its success in these endeavors.