Held Tuesday, July 13, 2004
Health Lawyers' Spring/Summer 2004 public interest teleconference
series concluded with Perspectives on Healthcare Tax Exemption.
The speakers were:
- William J. Cox, President/CEO of the Alliance for Catholic
- Carl Weissburg, of counsel to Foley and Lardner, counsel to
the Board of the Federation of American Hospitals, executive director
and legal counsel to the United Hospital Association, and general
counsel to the California Healthcare Association;
- Stan Jenkins, Chairman of the Champaign County (Illinois)
Board of Review; and
- T.J. Sullivan (moderator), a partner with Gardner Carton and
Douglas LLP. Mr. Sullivan is a past member of AHLA's Board and chair of
AHLA's 2003 and 2004 conference on tax issues.
Mr. Sullivan engaged Messrs. Cox, Weissburg, and Jenkins in a
discussion of healthcare tax exemption and recent developments that have
brought that issue into the news. Topics included:
- The history and legal basis of healthcare tax-exempt status;
- State and local government challenges to healthcare tax-exempt ion,
including revocation of the tax-exempt status of Provena Covenant
Medical Center, Urbana, IL;
- IRS scrutiny of executive compensation in tax-exempt organizations;
- Recent Congressional hearings on charity oversight and reform and on
pricing practices of tax-exempt hospitals.
- Recent class-action lawsuits against tax-exempt hospitals on behalf
of the uninsured.