Membership in AHLA is individual rather than organizational. Your membership is personal and fully portable should you change employment. Dues for attorney members are based on the date of admission to the Bar. Other dues categories are available for government attorneys, academicians (full-time faculty), paralegals, health professionals, and full-time law or graduate students. Get a complete listing of dues and membership types here.
Join today using our online membership process or download our membership application.
Click here to see our Membership Guide detailing the many benefits of AHLA membership.
AHLA is your source for:
More than ever, we rely on quick and easy access to relevant information for successful practice management. AHLA offers you many key information sources and services that will help you be effective counsel for your clients.
- Access to members-only content on the AHLA website
- Member update emails
- Health and Life Sciences Law Daily—a daily digest of the most important health and legal news culled from thousands of sources and delivered, as a benefit, to members' email inboxes.
- New! AHLA State Health Law Newsstand - weekly electronic newsletter delivering tailored newsfeed on state health law developments. This one-year pilot is a collaborative initiative between AHLA and Lexology.
- Online Health Law Digest, an extensive monthly synopsis of the most current state and federal court decisions in the field of health law organized by topic.
- AHLA Connections —a monthly magazine devoted to health-related legislative and regulatory activities. Includes feature articles, in-depth analyses, job opportunities, and member news. Sent by mail to members, with an interactive online version available as well.
- Health Lawyers Weekly — enewsletter sent each Friday; includes articles and analyses covering top stories, important case law, federal and state legislative and regulatory developments.
- Journal of Health & Life Sciences Law - Published digitally three times a year, offers in-depth, professionally-reviewed articles that are practical and relevant to your practice. Each issue is printable, searchable, and features interactive web links and cross-references. Members also have access to a digital archive of past issues of the Journal dating back to 1997.
- AHLA Publications - Members are entitled to significant discounts on AHLA publications, both print and electronic.
- Membership Directory - a comprehensive index of the AHLA's membership that lets members network with their colleagues from across the country. Search for someone by name, location, company name, search to find members in a particular Practice Group, or find a peer with a similar practice interest.
- Discussion Lists - Subscribe to one or more of our many lists, devoted to a variety of health law topics. Members can choose delivery options (immediate, daily, weekly digest) and can search archives of discussions.
AHLA’s educational programs are the gold standard in the legal community. As the premier provider of continuing education to the profession, AHLA leads health law to excellence through many venues, from its highly-regarded in-person programs held across the country to its webinars that cover breaking regulatory issues and hot topics.
- In-person programs are held across the country to bring information about breaking regulatory issues to those in the health law field.
- AHLA's In-House Counsel program and Annual Meeting - offer one of the best opportunities to network with colleagues and gain valuable skills. Mark your calendars now for this year's events, June 24-27, 2012 in Chicago, IL.
- Webinars and Rountables - offered throughout the year, webinars on a variety of relevant and timely topics are presented by knowledgeable experts. Members are offered a discounted rate for webinar registration, and if a webinar is sponsored by AHLA Practice Group(s), members enrolled in those PGs may receive a further discounts.
- Continuing Legal Education - AHLA is an approved sponsor of CLE and continuing professional education credits in most states that require them. We also apply for various other types of professional education credit when appropriate. Members can download their CLE certificates anytime via the AHLA website.
- ePrograms - AHLA collaborates with the West Legal Edcenter to bring you the highly regarded content from our in-person programs, online and on demand so you can earn CLEs, at your convenience. Members receive a discounted rate on these ePrograms, which contain audio and written materials (PowerPoint presentations, papers, and attachments).
- Health Law Wiki - a site for members to continuously create, edit, and monitor health law content in a collaborative fashion. Join your colleagues in helping to create and develop this cutting-edge resource on health law.
A primary benefit of AHLA membership is the opportunity to grow as a professional through several key resources and opportunities.
- Practice Groups - For a nominal fee, members can enroll in one or more of our 16 Practice Groups, composed of members who share a similar work setting or interest in specific areas of health law. Enrollees receive eNewsletters, substantial discounts on webinars and luncheons, member briefings, email alerts, and access to special Practice Group-only websites. View our Practice Group brochure.
- AHLA Mentoring Program - pairs interested members with seasoned health lawyers. Sign up to become a mentor to provide guidance to others, or sign up as a mentee to develop your professional skills, leadership, and professional competencies.
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Service - Members have access to AHLA's ADR Service, which provides rules of procedure for resolution of disputes and provides independent healthcare professionals to resolve them. AHLA's ADR arbitrators, mediators and hearing officers are ready to help resolve disputes in medical staff/governing board issues, physician credentialing matters, managed care issues, joint venture agreements, physician contracts and more.
A key component of AHLA’s mission is its desire to serve as a public resource on selected healthcare legal issues through free events, resources and publications that share the expertise of AHLA members with other healthcare attorneys, health professionals and executives, public health agencies, pro bono attorneys, and consumer groups.